February 11, 2009

Same Same But Different







There are heaps of posts about Originals and Versions, about Remixes and Remakes, about Sampling and Thievery out there. Posts that present and discuss original versions of tracks alongside their copies. Or the classic funk&soul tune next to the Hiphop beat that contains its sample. Sometimes it's interesting to come across a tune and think: I KNOW that melody from somewhere. But then you are sent a .rar file with ALL the tracks that have EVER been sampled by the Beastie Boys and you go: Shit, who's doing all this? Collecting all that stuff must take years, and most of the tracks are not even recognisable.

I would like to keep my selection rather arbitrary and minimal. Just like they come into my mind, I will post Doppelgänger-tunes in erratic intervals. There will be familiar Jazz melodies on Hiphop instrumentals, Rock bands performing Techno tracks and Belgian Trance producers using a Burmese military flute solo to add some extra flavor to their bumbum. (Yes, I'm kidding!)

To make this post distinguishable from all the other 'Original vs. Sample' entries, I'd like YOU to vote for your favourite tune. There's a cute little COMMENT BOX just below every post that can be used for that reason.

To begin with, I'll present a track named Street Player performed by Chicago, plus what The Bucketheads made out of it. Decide for yourself!






No comments:

Post a Comment