August 28, 2009

Jamie Woon





"Ladies and Gentlemen
Surely we're here in mind
Watching our spirits dance on the
On the backs of our lives"



I discovered Jamie Woon earlier this year when I got the Burial RMX of his 'Wayfaring Stranger'. I must confess that I didn't listen carefully enough to the tune in the beginning and so it got lost in my iTunes between all the other novelties. It was only later that someone called my attention to the 25-year-old singer again and I started to rummage his music. Soon I found out about the versatility of the Londoner. He understands to mix Soul with HipHop, Blues and alternative Rock. In the video below, Jamie Woon performs my favourite of his songs, 'Spirits'. The way he makes use of his voice, creating the impression of a full band by means of beatboxing and his multi-layered vocal harmonies is simply amazing.








Another one of my favourite tracks is a collaboration with Subeena that will be released on Planet Mu in October this year. Until then you can purchase Jamie's sublime sounds here or here.








No comments:

Post a Comment