September 24, 2009

BAR 25 / after the hype is before the hype




There's a writing on one of the walls in my neighbourhood. It says: "after the hype is before the hype." Now when I look at recent events such as the closing of BAR 25, I know exactly what the composer of the message tries to express. There's always something to (small) talk about, a venue or spot where "you have to have been". However, it never takes long before that certain plc t b is off, over and out. Then, that cycle starts anew.

To be honest, I totally missed out on the last big Berlin hype named BAR 25. I mean I have been there, but that's a couple of years back when I visited the city. I liked it. Now that I'm living here for 2 months, I was a bit irritated by all that "let's go to BAR 25...you know...they'll shut their doors soon...forever."

Yeah right!

Honestly, weren't they supposed to close down by the end of the season in 2007? And then again in 2008? For me, this seems to be nothing but a teaser to get more and more people in a place. Another example? Look at Hühnerhaus on Skalitzerstraße (if you're familiar. otherwise, google maps might be helpful). The chicken there is alright, but is it worth cooling one's heels for half an hour and more? No, it's certainly not. It's a hype and it will therefore disappear again, because "after the hype is before the hype." So true.

Besides all that, this year's B25 closing tune is extra. Check out the video below for Niconé and Braemer's "Nur mal kurz". It's a pretty fresh adaption of Zager and Evans' song from the 60s. Enjoy. And don't forget: "after the hype....













1 comment:

  1. last time i went there it was like disneyland for rave torists and alternative hip students. brrr

    ReplyDelete